Simple Room Makeovers
Set the Scene with an Accent Wall
A pop of color or a different look on an accent wall can give your home a new vibe for the holidays.
Download Project Instructions
- Fill in any holes or dents with spackle.
- Allow to dry.
- Sand holes and any rough areas.
- Mask off any windows, trim or molding on the wall using painter’s tape.
- Using a 1"- 2" angle brush, cut in before you roll your paint to get a crisp, straight edge along the ceiling, baseboard and corners of the wall.
- Keep these tips in mind when cutting in:
- Work at a slight angle to the edge you’re painting.
- Press the bristles gently onto the wall until they fan out.
- Now you’re ready to roll. The type of roller you should use depends on the type of sheen/finish your paint has.
- Flat sheen is best used for low-traffic rooms, like bedrooms.
- Satin sheen has a soft reflection and is best used in rooms with light cleanability, like hallways and playrooms.
- Semi-gloss sheen has a durable stain- and moisture-resistant shine, and is best used in kitchens and bathrooms.
- You can use a knit roller cover to apply flat- and satin-sheen paints to a wall, but a woven roller cover can give you a more professional look and is highly recommended for semi-gloss-sheen paints.
- Grab your roller and dip it into the paint tray several times to evenly saturate the entire roller cover.
- Apply light pressure on the wall and paint in a narrow V-shape. Keep these tips in mind when rolling paint:
- Always start and finish into the wet edge of the paint.
- Cover an area about 3 feet wide before moving on.
- Back-roll the painted area for an even finish. Remember to roll in only one direction and overlap each stroke.
- Allow to dry.
Complete the Look
Everything you need to style your projects this holiday season is available at Walmart.
Pre-Lit Green Artificial Christmas Tree, 24", Clear Lights
Traditional Christmas Tree Skirt, 56"
Quantities are limited and some items may no longer be available.