- Sand away any rough areas or old paint on the wood frame.
- Clear the sanding dust with a damp cloth.
- When the wood is smooth, apply pre-stain conditioner to help the stain penetrate the wood more evenly. Allow 5-15 minutes for the conditioner to penetrate, then wipe the surface with a lint-free rag.
- Stir the stain well (don’t shake the can). Pretest the color in a hidden spot.
- Apply the stain in the direction of the wood grain using a natural bristle brush.
- Allow stain to completely dry.
- While wearing rubber gloves, use a lint-free rag to wipe in the direction of the wood grain, removing excess stain and blending the lighter/darker areas.
- Depending on the wood type, you may need to apply several coats to get an even appearance. We stained our shadow boxes with three coats.
- Apply a thin coat of polyurethane topcoat in the direction of the wood grain.
- Allow to dry.
- Attach your favorite holiday ornament inside the frame with string or a wire.
These frames can stay up all year – just change out the ornaments for each holiday, starting with Valentine’s Day.
Download Project Instructions